![]() |
| (Google Images) |
![]() |
| (Google Images) |
- If it were possible, 700 miles is about 12 hours driving
- less than 2 hours in a plane- less than 4 hours in a boat to Japan
![]() |
| I am in Seoul, the big red dot under the DMZ. (Google Images) |
Needless to say, Japan is super close to South Korea. It is incredible that there was absoulte zero damage done to South Korea, and even more damage done to the USA than here. If it weren't for Japan being there, that tsunami would have hit South Korea and that is rather scary. But, enough about me, it is extremely tragic what has happened in Japan and I send by condolescences and prayers to all of the victims of the earthquake and tsunami. Natural disasters are a very scary phenomenon because there is nothing you can do to prevent them, stop them, or even let people know early enough to get out.
Yesterday, around 2pm, there were alarm sirens that signaled a country wide "Earthquake/Tsunami/North Korean Invasion" drill. Yes, all of those things grouped into one drill! I could not help but laugh a little at how ridiculous I thought that was. But, hey, as my mother said "efficiency".
I have wanted to have a moment of silence or at least acknowledge what has happened in Japan in my classes, but I have not. The reason is not because I do not think it is a worth while subject, it is more because the topic of Japan is extremely controversial in Korea. I am afraid that showing sympathy for Japan would strike the wrong note in at least somebody. I have recieved many clues to this sentiment, for example, cherry blossoms are a controversial tree around here. One teacher said "they are pretty, but they are from Japan". Other statements such as, "I like Japan and Japanese food, but not the people". There has been a tumultuous history between Korea and Japan, but in an event like this I wish I felt comfortable enough to acknowledge the tragedy. But, it is a cultural difference that I can not relate to and I have to understand that.
Once again, my thoughts and best wishes go out to the victims of this disaster.



No comments:
Post a Comment