Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall fun in the ROK

Thursday night- About three blocks away from my apartment is a huge, beautiful, and clean bowling alley.  I never expected to use those words to describe a bowling alley as I associate words more like smoky, dark, and kinda dirty.  But, this was a prestine bowling alley and it was packed on a Thursday night.  It gets even better because it is so cheap! It is about 85 cents to rent shoes and about $1.50/game.  If I am to get serious about bowling here, I am going to have to invest in an arm band that all of the Koreans wear.  It is almost like a wrist guard that I use to wear when rollerblading- it keeps your wrist straight while you are bowling.  All and all great find, thanks to our friend Greg here.

Friday night- I hung out with a new group of people in the Yatap/Seongnam area and it was a lot of fun.  It is great to start finding a group of friends who all live really close.


Saturday- Fall has arrived in Korea and it is gorgeous.  So Saturday morning, after a failed attempt at bungee jumping (don't worry parents) because it was too crowded, a few us still enjoyed a walk around Yuldong Park where the bungee jumping takes place.  It is a really pretty lake surrounded by mountains and trails.  The weather was perfect, hot in the sun and comfortable in the shade.  In the afternoon, Quinn and I headed into Seoul to meet up with the Wisco crew to attend a K-pop concert that night.  It was a free conference sponsored by the G-20 conference.  It involved lots of screaming tweens and glow sticks galore.  It was really funny  because everyone at this concert sat while my friends and I were the only ones standing and dancing.


Sunday- The fun continued as Quinn and I went hiking on a mountain called Namhansanseong.  It was gorgeous walking along old fortress walls with panaramic views of the city and surrounded my trees with red, yellow, and orange leaves.  The fall here really is beautiful and Koreans take advantage of it.  While the streest are empty on Sundays, the mountains and trails are extremely crowded.  I was amazed by the number of people out there on Sunday.

1 comment: