Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day of School Jitters

I woke up this morning just as nervous as I am when I was a student, but this time I am in the front of the classroom.  I met 4 classes of students today, all with varying levels of English (mainly very low).  I made a powerpoint presentation to introduce myself and then I had all of the students go around and say "My name is..." and one thing about themselves.  Some students were very shy, others not, but the majority just giggled a lot.  The 3 main questions for me were: How old are you?  Do you have a boyfriend? and How tall are you?  Also, all of the students were commenting on my small head and finally a teacher told me they are envious of it (who ever thought that would happen).  Teaching is definitely going to be hard, but I am excited for the challenge.  The hardest part is not being able to ask questions about my duties as I would in a normal job situation, but I am sure that will get easier as time goes on.  One of the most interesting parts so far is that I walk through the hallways like a mini-celebrity with the students bowing to me and then waving hello and giggling.  I wonder how long that respect is going to last...

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't cut it in Korea with my head! So glad it's working out, Jules!! These stories are amazing, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Julie -- you're going to be one of my regular reads now. I can picture you walking down the hall as a celebrity.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete