As I sit here and write this, there are fake radio annoucements and sirens being played over the loud speakers to simulate an evacuation drill in case the North attacks the South. It is strange and kind of creepy because I can not understand anything that is being said, but none of it sounds very happy. This is not your ordinary fire drill...
The following link is to an article that describes how today was a nationwide "civil defense drill" to prepare for a North Korean attack:
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=5225601&c=ASI&s=SEA
My daily life does not involve being fearful of an attack by the North, but when events like this happen it is a strong reminder that there is an imminent threat not too far away from where I am living. Bottom line- I feel safe being here, but it does remind me of parents and family stories about practicing ducking under your desk in case of an atomic bomb (not such a good feeling).
In english class we're learning about north korea right now!
ReplyDelete