Thursday, December 30, 2010

School is Out!...Let the desk warming begin


I showed up to work this morning at the usual 8:20am and waved to a maintenance man as I walked through the front door- all normal.  But, as I entered the teacher's lounge which is normally hustling and bustling with students and teachers, I found nothing.  No lights, no people, and no heat.  I checked my watch again and it was the right time.  What happened? Day 1 of school vacation, well vacation for everyone else except for me!

Desk warming (verb): to sit at your desk alone during school vacations because it says so in your contract attempting to entertain yourself with books, movies, and however else on the internet.

DESK
WARMING

As 9am approached, a couple teachers walked through the doors and things got a little more lively.  However, this will be my life for the next couple of weeks before I actually go on vacation.  I am teaching an English winter camp where I have two groups of about 15 students each for one week.  I am supposed to do various activities with them for about 3-4 hours each morning.  I never thought I would be grateful for winter camp, but at least it will make the days move a little faster.

To back up, yesterday was the last day of the school year (Korea runs on a calender year schedule)!  Things at the school were a little crazy with cleaning up, saying goodbyes, and getting all of the students out.  After the students left, all of the teachers got treated to an amazing, amazing buffet lunch.  We were all eating from about noon-5pm.  I tried to explain to my teachers that the majority of buffets in America are disgusting and that this one was really good.  This was a classy buffet, if those two words can go together.  It had every kind of cuisine you can think of and more.  It was delicious and I was stuffed.

So, at the end of yesterday, I was on a high of school ending and vacation starting, but today, I sit in a small office with 4 other teachers whom can not really communicate with me.  I am just minding my own business, listening to music, and preparing for winter camp.  I am hoping that these next couple of weeks fly by as on January 14th, I will be leaving for a 3 week vacation to Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam.  I am SO excited for new food, new places, and WARM weather!!


Today is my last day of 2010!! I can not believe it!! This past year is going to be a tough one to compete with.  I have done some amazing things and met some great people this past year that I am so grateful for.  Not to mention that in 2010 I racked up my flying miles including going to Costa Rica with my Dad, Puerto Rico for spring break, Colombia post-graduation with Quinn, and now living in Korea!!  It is amazing and crazy all of the same time.  On top of wonderful vacations, I received a little thing called my Bachelors degree and started a new job teaching ESL.  I shock myself with how awesome 2010 was.  Dear 2011, you better step your game up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment