Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Alive and Well

Despite the unfortunate recent events between North Korea and South Korea, I am still safe and sound in my town, Seongnam.  From my perspective, granted I do not speak the language, there has been little talk about yesterday's events.  I believe that South Koreans feel that this is a tragic event and something that should never happen: shots fired on both sides, 2 soldiers killed, and civilians injured.  My one co-teacher asked me if I had heard the news and only said, "I hope your family is not worried, don't worry about it, I think the North only wanted to show their power".  The only other comment made to me was from one of my teacher friends at school who is concerned because her brother is in the Korean army and stationed near there.  Otherwise, if the news had not told me about it, I would have never known something significant happened.  It is interesting to be living in a country where the constant threat of North Korea has existed for people's entire lives.  I am curious as time goes on to see if people talk about things more or not at all.  I can only hope that North Korea decides not to take any further actions, so we all can continue on with our lives peacefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment