Sunday, September 19, 2010

I got a dollar, I got dollar, I got a dollar, hey, hey, hey, hey

I am officially a real person in South Korea!  In order to have a cell phone, get internet, purchase certains items, open a bank account, and many other important activities, you need to have an Alien Residency Card (ARC).  I had an adventure at immigration a few weeks ago and I have been waiting anxiously for my ARC to arrive.  On Thursday, a golden ticket was sitting on my desk with my ARC inside.  The teachers lounge was having a good laugh as I jumped with joy at receiving this little piece of plastic with my name and picture on it.  Side note--I had my picture taken at this little Kodak booth on the first floor of an office building where the man proceeded to photoshop my face before printing my photo (a real compliment, right?).  But really, this card changes my life here.  I was finally able to open a bank account at KEB (Korean Exchange Bank) and get paid, wahoo!  I am also able to contract a cell phone and fit in to the rest of the wired in population here.  Other perks include: getting a Kim's Club (a supermarket) membership card and free internet at Starbucks.  All and all, I am a legal resident of South Korea now and am very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment