Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Is this really a soccer game?

There happens to be a soccer stadium just a few blocks from my apartment and with the season ending, Quinn, Eric, and I took advantage of the Korean Champions League game tonight.  After we bought the the best seats in the house which cost only $10, we were on our way to our seats when we were stopped by a Korean man.  This man started speaking to Quinn in rapid Korean and we realized that he thought Quinn was a soccer player on the team!  Looking back, this makes no sense because why would Quinn then be in the stands.  Whatever, it was meant to be.  This man made us follow him to his group of friends who then for the rest of the night fed us free beer, walnut desserts, fried jalepenos, chips, and dried squid while singing and banging on drums.  We were all excited for stadium food, but that doesn't seem to be the trend.  People bring in whatever they want including packs of beer, homemade food, and lots of snacks.  This experience was truly unique.  Here I was chanting and singing in Korean who knows what, while enjoying a beer with my new Korean "friends".  It was almost as if we had found a mini-popular section like in Argentina, but not nearly as intense.  However, I think I lost some of my hearing in one ear as the drum was right next to me.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can not wait for next season to begin.  GO SEONGNAM!!! (one cheer involved saying this about 10 times over and over again, I am a little hoarse now)

No comments:

Post a Comment